Thursday, June 4, 2009

Dead Turtle... Identification Needed

These images below were taken a year ago while I was on the boat with my guests at Tanjung Rhu coast, Langkawi.

Gee... I know these pictures are staled by now since they are more than 1 year old. I started digging out these images since my colleague spotted another decomposed carcass of a similar turtle recently about 500meters away from the spot of the first dead turtle found.




After a meeting on "Sustainable Tourism" at LADA yesterday afternoon, a naturalist on the island claimed that many years ago, green turtles actually nested on Langkawi.
Is that right? Could this be a green turtle (chelonia mydas) or Olive Ridley Turtle (lepidochelys olivacea)? Any marine expert who could help me confirm the Id of this dead turtle, that would be appreciated.

Thanks much.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Wendy. My name is Azimi, and I've done many years of experience with sea turtle conservation & research. I can fully guarantee to you that this is a hawksbill turtle (Eretmochelys imbricata). I can see the overlapping of the scutes, and the jagged edges of the carapace. The poor hawksbill.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...