Monday, June 4, 2012

Porpita Tortilla!

Hahahaha! Just a little humor will not hurt, right? 

The weird marine creature I encountered yesterday afternoon were Porpita Porpita (it sounds like Spanish to me) and the common name for this Cnidaria phylum is Blue Button Jellies. Although it has the 'jellies' word and they are related to jellyfish but they are not a jellyfish at all. However, they do have nematocysts that can cause irritation to skin when touched and their sting is not powerful.

Porpita porpita

According to the links I have read, the habitat and distribution of porpita porpita are in the warm waters of Pacific, Atlantic ocean, Gulf of Mexico, southern part of United States and even in New Zealand. These hydroids live in pelagic waters and they are blown onto shores.

At least I am having some excitement for this weekend for able to discover something new...awesome! I owe my blog readers a huge thank you for their answers to my weird marine creatures. 

Who are they?

JK of SiputKuning.com, Erica Oliver Heibel via Facebook page, Ria of Wildshores of Singapore, and Patrick Low via Facebook. Thank you all for your time!

Links related to Porpita porpita:

1 comment:

  1. wow...I've first seen this picture in your blog. . .love it. . thanks a lot for showing it to me....keep it up..
    natural gas compressor

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...